Tattoo Aftercare Tips
Caring for your tattoo is important to ensure proper healing. Also,regular care for your tattoo will preserve it.
How to care for your tattoo:
- After an hour, wash your hands so they are clean, and gently remove the bandage. It is normal to notice a small amount of blood and ink. Use the mild antibacterial soap (no fragrance or scrubs) and cool or luke-warm water to wash the tattoo twice daily, or as needed, depending on your activity levels for the day.
- Pat your skin dry using a clean paper towel.
- Apply a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment. We recommend using Recovery, A&D ointment, or Aquaphor.
- Follow these steps for at least one week.
- During the first week, you will notice that scabs form. It is okay to notice a little redness or swelling, this should go away during the first week.
- During the second week, the scabs should begin to fall off, you can use a good moisturizer to soothe the itchy, irritated skin and protect it from the sun.
- During the third week, the outer layer of your tattoo should be completely healed. It is important to moisturize your skin regularly.
- Everyone's healing experience is unique. If you have any questions, contact one of our artists at 901-491-6888. We are more than happy to help you with your concerns. Consult a healthcare professional if you notice any signs of infection.
- Avoid products with any fragrances or harsh chemicals
- Avoid products that will clog your pores
- Do not attempt to re-bandage your tattoo
- Air-drying is important in the healing process
- Scratching or picking your tattoo can cause scarring
- You should not swim or soak in water until your tattoo is healed — so avoiding swimming pools, the ocean, lakes, hot tubs or any body of water is a must
- Wear loose-fitting clothing
- Do not expose your tattoo to the sun for at least 3 weeks. Make sure to use sunblock after that, it depends on the healing of your tattoo. Avoid using tanning beds and any tanning oils and lotions.
If you have any questions about your new tattoo, feel free to call or stop by the shop. We are always happy to address your questions.